Nov 12, 2014

My little obsessions that makes life easier.

There are some little things in our lives that help us go easier from day to day. Some may call it hobbies, passion but I think sometimes they turn into some kind of obsession. But the good one.
So, as many other people, I also have a few little obsessions that help me stay sane during all the things that everyday life brings. Things that help me relax calm down or even that take me somewhere else, even just for a moment, to break away from all the problems of reality.

BOOKS I just love reading! I haven’t got my favorite genre: thrillers, crimes, romances, biographies… Anything that will catch my eye with an interesting title. The list of my favorite titles and authors is very long. I like going back to some of them and sometimes I can read them again and again even if I know the entire plot and how it all ends. Maybe it sound silly, to read a book that you know so well, but when it can take you to such a beautiful places, if it gives you so much happiness, joy, peace and relax its surely worth it. During my school years reading books in English was a really good way to improve my language skills. Even if, in the beginning, it was very hard to go through English texts I tried and tried and now it gives me o lot of fun. One of my first “big” books in English was 7th book from “Harry Potter” series. And I must say that it was one of the most expensive books I ever bought – but the effort and cost was really worth it!

MUSIC There is a polish proverb that says: “music mitigates mores” (muzyka Ĺ‚agodzi obyczaje). There is something true about that. I am not a musician, I’ve never attend any music school, I don’t play on any instrument but I love music. When I come back home from work I just turn on my favorite music and even the worst day becomes better. During my high school music helped me learn and prepare myself to my final exams. Also during the 5 years of University music helps me learn or write my thesis. It accompanies me when I am going to my French classes, when I am traveling, when I am stitching… There is something magical in music. It surrounds you, fills you, permeates your body, mind and soul. In a long time I am in love with French music. After I’ve discovered Garou, Celine Dion, French musicals like “Le Petit Prince” or “Notre Dame de Paris” I became a big fan of French music and language, so I decided that I would like to learn this beautiful language.

FOREIGN LANGUAGES In Poland it is very common to learn foreign language. Children starts learning their first foreign language in preschool and it’s mostly English. During our school years, through University, we should learn at least two foreign languages. In Poland the most common I think are English, German, French and Italian . But more “exotic” languages have their fans too. Some time ago I was learning German (unfortunately it was too short to be fluent in it). Now I focused on improving my English, learning French and Ukrainian – as I have a lot of family in Ukraine.

CROSS STITCHING My obsession with cross stitching starts after my aunt, who is originally from Ukraine, visited us for the first time. She bring us some souvenirs from Ukraine and among them she bring me some cross stitch sets with fabric, strands, needle and a cross stitch pattern. After I tried it for the first time I couldn’t stop! It’s so addictive!!! Now I can’t imagine my day without at least a little bit of cross stitching. I am reading blogs written by people who share the same passion, I am looking for new patterns, fabrics, strands and all that is necessary to spend time with a needle and thread. Doesn’t matter the pattern, the size. I am stitching decorations, pincushions, pendants, pictures….. anything big or small. And I love it:)!
Among other things that makes my life easier I may list: horse riding, swimming, long walks, dancing, spending time with my friends, working with kids, learning new things, meeting new people and cultures and many many others.
Maybe soon I will be able to join something new to this list… (I will see how things will go tomorrow).


Have a good evening.

Weronika

No comments:

Post a Comment